April 17, 2011

Milestones on a Lifeline - A Poem that sums up my life....

by Barb (Schulz ) Boksz


Came into this world Mid-Century,
Put my parents life in a flurry.

In 52, the single child became two,
And in 56, they added one more to the mix.

In 58, during a great blizzard,
They were challenged with the health of my little sister.

In 64, I moved through the Catholic school doors,
To open the gates
Of life in 68.

By 72, Towson pushed me to start a career that was new,
And I ended 73, married blissfully.

In 76, we became Harford County hicks,
But in 77, Daddy went to heaven.

In 81, parenting became fun,
And kept us constantly on the run.

By 88, Nana went through the pearly gates,
And a daughter we did meet before we moved to Street.
At Joppatowne, the year 89 opened my cyber lifeline,
Although it was at Dublin I explored the cyber mine.

In 91, the feminine strife was done,
As we added a cute fuzzy faced one.

By 95, JHU made my cyberlife come alive,
Spreading the cyber mine to Scribes Online in 99.

The last odd day of the century, sent Earl to his destiny,
While I spent the first day of the millennium talking to global friends on my Pentium.

Wings were spread in 2001, with Lorraine heading to her eternal rest,
And us forming wagon trains heading west.

In 2002, we added someone new,
Making us grandparents true.

In 2003, Fuzzy face was free
To join those with a done destiny,
While we sailed to Alaska on our 30th anniversary.

In 2004, we saw both our kids and grandkid more,
Than we’d seen them in years,
But sadly one shed many tears.

While currently the knowledge is getting Piled Higher and Deeper,
Let’s hope I finish before I meet the great reaper.

In 2005, we spread our living quarters between the high desert and Mile High,
While in 2006, I traveled from shore to shore, and was very poor,
Yet ended where I started caring for a loved one.

As 2006 changed to 2007, Karen made herself known causing a huge crack in the marital bliss,
yet awakening my senses to the hopes of a kiss.

In 2008, searching out on old love brought kisses and more,
then that love brought lots of stuff to store.

In 2010,  I became a married woman again,
with lots of love and contentment. 
Went to Niagara on the honeymoon,
Lost a passport and cell phone,
and traveled by the clickety-clank of  train wheels to get back home,
But got back to life and research  way too soon.

In 2012, as Dr. Barb I reached that goal so beat the reaper,
But he's threatening Mom as we try to keep her.

As Dr. Barb spread her wings in 2013 to become an award winning teacher,
the district  at first tossed her out, then decided  to keep her.

In 2014, double foot surgery kept her home,  and brought  3 more back to the family,
so the decision was made to retire
and she's moved on to light other fires.

This poem will continue to grow as milestones come and go,
And life blows us to and fro,
As I work through my life’s lease,
And strive to reach my final peace.

No comments: